About Saint Peter Lutheran Church
Saint Peter Lutheran Church is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, an affiliation of more than 4 million Lutheran Christians in North America. Saint Peter Lutheran Church began holding worship services on November 1, 1979, and was officially organized as a congregation of the Lutheran Church in America on April 12, 1980. (The Lutheran Church in America subsequently became part of the the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America through a 1989 merger with two other Lutheran denominations.)
Saint Peter's Mission Statement is:
The People of Saint Peter Lutheran Church
Welcomed into God’s Love
just as we are
Sent into God’s World
to be a reflection of Christ
"Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ… God proves love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." [Romans 5:1, 8]
- just as we are – with no need to prove ourselves or earn God’s love (and with no fear of being judged by others)
- into an experience of God’s life-changing love
- into a living and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- into a world-wide community of brothers and sisters in faith
- into an understanding of ourselves as both sinners and saints
- into the journey of discovering God, and discerning God’s call
- into the peace that comes from knowing God in Christ
- into this particular family of faith we call “Saint Peter Lutheran Church”
"Jesus said, 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.' ” [St. Matthew 28:19-20]
- to be a reflection of the love we have first received from God
- to live as Christ has shown us how to live (the “cross-shaped” life)
- to offer ourselves in service to those who are in need
- to reach out with compassion to those who are in pain
- to live generously, with what God has entrusted to us
- to invite others to join us in lives of discipleship
Current areas of focus at Saint Peter include:
- Two Sunday morning worship services: both of them attempts to be faithful to the historic liturgy of the church, with one (at 8:30 a.m.) using classical music and the other (at 10:45 a.m.) using more contemporary forms of music.
- A strong focus on five habits of discipleship: daily prayer & Bible study, weekly worship, monthly community service, financial generosity, and meeting for faith formation with a faith partner or a small group.
- A commitment to being a community where young people are valued, honored and fully involved in the life of the congregation.
Saint Peter Lutheran Church has been served by Pastors Hal Elvert (1979-1984), Karen Parker (1984-1997) and Dave Risendal (1998 to present).
More information about Saint Peter Lutheran Church can be found on its web site: www.StPLC.org.