Top Ten Items on Pastor Dave’s To-Do List (with only five months left until the entire universe is obliterated…)
10. Start my Sabbatical in August instead of September Since we’ll all be on Sabbatical once November arrives.
9. Cancel the tune-up on my truck It will make it another five months, without maintenance.
8. Throw out our Halloween costumes and treat bags Couldn’t God have decided to obliterate the entire universe after Halloween? It would only have delayed things by ten more days.
7. Fly to Hawaii and back on United Airlines Our accumulated Mileage Plus miles aren’t going to be worth much after the entire universe is obliterated.
6. Don’t bother repairing the furnace in my home It doesn’t get all that cold in October. We’ll be fine with an extra blanket or two.
5. Sell my early-1960s Minnesota Twins bobble head on eBay If Harold Camping has miscalculated again (for the third time!), maybe my Matt Holliday Rockies bobble head will be worth something by the time the end actually comes.
4. Eat as many Oreos as I want before bed every night How much worse can my cholesterol get in five months?
3. Delete last week’s sermon from my blog In last week's sermon, I insisted that it is foolish to imagine we will know when the end is coming, before it comes.
2. Figure out why Jesus said what he said in St. Mark 13:32-33 “But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come.” [NRSV]
1. Plant a tree After all, if Martin Luther didn’t actually say, “Even if I knew the world was going to end tomorrow, I would still plant an apple tree today.” it only makes sense to be found doing what God has called us to do: caring for the earth, and participating in creation, when the end does finally come.